Thursday, December 23, 2004

'Twas the Christmas Disaster (Averted)

It was two days 'til Christmas and all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring 'cause I kicked them all out!
You! Time for bed and you! to the pub!
I've got gifts to knit here and I won't be slowed up!

I curled up on the couch with a red bucket hat
Only a few rows more and that would be that.
Then what to my wondering eyes did appear,
My Denise cord snapped and my eyes they did tear.

What horrible luck, what a bad end to the year,
To destroy a knitting notion that I held so dear!
And what of the hat that was due the next day?
Must my friend warm her head some other way?

With a few tips and tricks I finagled a plan,
Thread in another cord and all will be grand.
It took some hard work since the yarn it was doubled,
But the motiviation inside continuously bubbled.

A couple of naughty words and many minutes later,
My hat was ready to finish and would be all the greater.
Woolly and fluffly with eyelash on the trim,
Sits the end product on my head while I pet the brim

Now my friend knows how to knit and respects the time put in,
All of my gifts to her are received with a grin,
And it's not like knitted gifts ever break my back,
But will she ever know this gift nearly gave me a heart attack?!

Now the excitement is over and I'm ready for bed,
While visions of LYS Gift Certificates dance in my head.
And I wish to you all, lacking more time to write,
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!

And, Santa, can you please amend my list to add one replacement cord for my Denise set? I promise to take better care of it this time and not subject it to the rigors of doubled and tripled yarn - no matter how cute the hat ;)

p.s. This is dedicated to Steph (you know who you are) who inspired me to challenge myself with LOTS of Christmas gift knitting - I've shocked myself with how many of the projects I was able to complete :) Thanks for that!

p.p.s Here's the hat, teddy was kind enough to model it for me and do his best Paddington Bear impression. Really, he's great with impressions - you should see him do Zsa Zsa Gabor with a scarf! LOL



Oh yeah - Cian says hi. He went to the salon to get his hair cut today and she added some spray-in hair colour. He wasn't too happy when she mentioned it would wash right out with shampoo. Any volunteers to try and get him into his next bath???



No comments:

Post a Comment